According to the NHS, 60 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning in England and Wales every year.
Faulty central heating systems and leaking gas boilers are often the cause – are you protecting your family from a Silent Killer?
Carbon Monoxide is odourless – that’s why it’s often referred to as the silent killer – and, according the Gas Safe Register, only 47% of homes have a carbon monoxide alarm.
Are you gas safe?
As the leading managing agents for lettings properties across Chichester, Arundel and coastal West Sussex, Sims Williams is encouraging all householders to check when their gas appliances were last inspected and encouraging people to install a carbon monoxide alarm if they haven’t already done so.
As members of ARLA Propertymark, Sims Williams has a duty to ensure all the properties it manages on behalf of its landlords undergo rigorous annual gas safety checks and that every property it lets has a carbon monoxide alarm which is regularly tested.
Sims Williams partner Tony Bush explains householders should make sure their homes meet the same high gas safety standards as the properties the independent lettings and estate agent manages on behalf of its landlords.
“This is Gas Safety Week and it is a great time to remind people about gas safety in their homes and the importance of only using registered and highly qualified gas safety engineers.”
“Although 76% of households have smoke alarms, less than half have carbon monoxide alarms – we want to see that figure increase,” says Tony.
Six simple steps to help keep you safe and warm in your home (source: Gas Safe Register)
- Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix and service your appliances. You can find and check an engineer and check their registration at Gas Safe Register or call 0800 408 5500.
- Check both sides of your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work you need doing. You can find this information on the back of the card.
- Have all your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year. If you rent your home, ask for a copy of the landlord’s current Gas Safety Record.
- Know the six signs of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness. Unsafe gas appliances can put you at risk of CO poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions. Read this helpful article https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/help-and-advice/carbon-monoxide-poisoning/.
- Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly e.g. lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks or stains on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
- Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.